Monday, March 22, 2010

Houston Marchman - Viet Nashville






HOUSTON MARCHMAN


HOUSTON MARCHMAN ON LONESTAR MUSIC


"I was just 22 when I hit the road. Searching for truth, passion, and gold. I had an old 6-string, beat up and cracked. Hitched all the way and I wasn't coming back from Nashville , Viet Nashville.

I hit town in the middle of the night Walked 16th, stared at the light. My soul was on fire, passion it rose. I had a young man's dream, but I was an old man's fool in Nashville, Viet Nashville

Gotta little harder there every day. Texas got farther and farther away from Viet Nashville, yeah Viet Nashville.

Well I started pushing my songs and knocking on doors. Most everyday I felt more like a whore. A man said, "son, son you gotta write for an 8th grade level divorced housewife in Nashville," Viet Nashville.

He said, "It's about money, boy, money in the bank. Country ain't into no existential angst. Write for the cash, not for the soul." Right then I knew man I was bound to roll Outta Nashville, Viet Nashville Viet Nashville, Viet Nashville

Yeah, I found me this friend, I called him ponytailed Johnny. Had hair to his ass, the pot made him melancholy. Got us in this gig down on lower Broadway. He told us bout a joint man, they never could pay us in Nashville, Viet Nashville.

We'd play em our songs, we;d play em some covers. Their favorite tune was "Redneck Mother." We got fired one night down in the 4th set. To get out alive, I'd've lost that bet. This big biker chick, she grabbed Johnny's hair. Never seen a woman get hit by a chair Hell, 'cept Nashville, Viet Nashville.

Ten years later in the middle of the night Skipped out of town, but I was feelin' alright Nashville, I owe you a lesson in life Stand up for yourself and what you thinks right Play what you feel play it straight up If you don't hear a sing man I don't give a fuck about Nashville, Viet Nashville Viet Nashville, Viet Nashville."



Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Townes Van Zandt

Townes Van Zandt